Barclays is committed to protecting your information. This policy provides you (the individual who is using this site) with information relating to how the personal data we collect from you, or you provide to us, will be processed.
If you have received a separate customer or client privacy notice from us, please refer to that notice for information on how we will collect and process your personal data for the provision of our products and services.
The Barclays privacy principles
We are committed to safeguarding the privacy of your personal data. By 'your personal data' we mean any information about you that you or third parties provide to us, that we will handle in accordance with the Barclays Privacy Principles:
- We will only collect and use your personal data where we have lawful grounds and legitimate business reasons to do so
- We will be transparent in our dealings with you and will tell you about how we will collect and use your personal data
- If we have collected your personal data for a particular purpose we will not use it for anything else unless you have been informed and, where relevant, your permission obtained
- We will not ask for more personal data than we need for the purposes for which we are collecting it
- We will update our records when you inform us that your details have changed
- We will continue to review and assess the quality of the personal data that we hold
- We will implement and adhere to information retention policies relating to your personal data and will ensure that personal data is securely disposed of at the end of the appropriate retention period
- We will observe the rights granted to you under applicable privacy and data protection laws and will ensure that queries relating to privacy issues are promptly and transparently dealt with
- We will train our staff on their privacy obligations
- We will ensure we have appropriate physical and technological security measures to protect your personal data regardless of where it is held
- We will ensure that when we outsource any processes we ensure the supplier has appropriate security measures in place and will contractually require them to comply with these Privacy Principles
- We will ensure that suitable safeguards are in place before personal data is transferred to other countries.
What we use personal data for, and who we will share it with
If you register to use our secure services such as online banking facilities we will ask you to provide some personal data for security, identification and verification purposes. When you complete any online forms, we will tell you how your information will be used, unless this is obvious.
If you are asked to provide personal data about others you must ensure that you have their consent or you are otherwise entitled to provide their information to Barclays.
We will also collect personal data from persons that visit and use our websites. This will include:
- Information provided in order to register for and use our online services
- Information provided within ‘contact us’ forms
We operate internationally and will need to share information with other Barclays offices, entities, affiliates, and external suppliers and agents, to conduct our business, support our customers, and where we outsource operational functions.
We will provide personal data to our suppliers and agents. Where we engage with a supplier or agent to process personal data on our behalf, we will undertake due diligence, monitoring and assurance activities to ensure that the personal data is appropriately protected, and contractual clauses will be agreed between the parties to ensure that data protection and confidentiality is maintained.
Some affiliates or service providers to which personal data are sent will be established in other countries. If we transfer personal data to a person, Barclays office, or other organisation in another country we will ensure that they agree to apply equivalent levels of protection and that they use process personal data strictly in accordance with our instructions.
We may also use your information for research and statistical analysis with the aim of improving our services.
Where you provide us with personal data about others you must ensure that you have their consent or are otherwise entitled to provide this information to us.
We retain personal data for as long as permitted for legal and regulatory purposes, or where we have a legitimate business reason to do so.
Your data protection rights
Where granted by applicable law, you may have a legal right to access, correct, update and delete your personal data. Please refer to your customer or client privacy notice for further details on your data protection rights and how you can exercise them.
If you have any other enquiries, please contact us or contact your Relationship Manager or Private Banker.