Where we are now
How much difference can a sustainable investment strategy make today?
How we integrate sustainability into our investment philosophy
Our award-winning sustainable investment philosophy looks to invest in high-quality companies that benefit from strong and durable cash generation and capital growth, mission-critical intellectual property (IP) protected goods and services and robust balance sheets with comparatively low levels of leverage.
We integrate this philosophy with a proprietary three-stage impact assessment.
View each stage below to find out how we ensure our sustainable investment portfolio produces strong returns while still having a positive impact on the planet.
Excluding controversial industries
Many question whether you should engage or divest in controversial business. We exclude alcohol, armaments, adult entertainment, gambling, tobacco and fossil fuels businesses from our strategy.
Environmental, Social & Governance considerations
Data about ESG practices can offer valuable insight into how effectively a company operates.
Supporting the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals
Identifying businesses that generate revenue from providing goods or services that help to address the UN’s sustainable development agenda.
Investments can fall as well as rise in value. Your capital or the income generated from your investment may be at risk.
You could get back less than you invest. Adding leverage to your portfolio may amplify returns in a rising market, but will amplify losses in a falling market
- Has been prepared by Barclays Bank PLC (Barclays) and is provided for information purposes only and is subject to change. It is indicative only and not binding. References to Barclays means any entity within the Barclays Group of companies, where “Barclays Group” means Barclays and its affiliates, subsidiaries and undertakings.
- Is not research nor a product of the Barclays Research department. Any views expressed in this communication may differ from those of the Barclays Research department. All opinions and estimates are given as of the date of this communication and are subject to change. Barclays is not obliged to inform recipients of this communication of any change to such opinions or estimates.
- Is general in nature and does not take into account any specific investment objectives, financial situation or particular needs of any particular person.
- Does not constitute an offer, an invitation or a recommendation to enter into any product or service and does not constitute investment advice, solicitation to buy or sell securities and/or a personal recommendation. Any entry into any product or service requires Barclays’ subsequent formal agreement which will be subject to internal approvals and execution of binding documents.
- Is confidential and is for the benefit of the recipient. No part of it may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted without the prior written permission of Barclays.
- Has not been reviewed or approved by any regulatory authority.
Any past or simulated past performance including back-testing, modelling or scenario analysis, or future projections contained in this communication is no indication as to future performance. No representation is made as to the accuracy of the assumptions made in this communication, or completeness of, any modelling, scenario analysis or back-testing. The value of any investment may also fluctuate as a result of market changes.
Barclays is a full service bank. In the normal course of offering products and services, Barclays may act in several capacities and simultaneously, giving rise to potential conflicts of interest which may impact the performance of the products.
Where information in this communication has been obtained from third party sources, we believe those sources to be reliable but we do not guarantee the information’s accuracy and you should note that it may be incomplete or condensed.
Neither Barclays nor any of its directors, officers, employees, representatives or agents, accepts any liability whatsoever for any direct, indirect or consequential losses (in contract, tort or otherwise) arising from the use of this communication or its contents or reliance on the information contained herein, except to the extent this would be prohibited by law or regulation. Law or regulation in certain countries may restrict the manner of distribution of this communication and the availability of the products and services, and persons who come into possession of this publication are required to inform themselves of and observe such restrictions.
The value of any investment may also fluctuate as a result of market changes.
You have sole responsibility for the management of your tax and legal affairs including making any applicable filings and payments and complying with any applicable laws and regulations. We have not and will not provide you with tax or legal advice and recommend that you obtain independent tax and legal advice tailored to your individual circumstances.
This report contains certain information (the "Information") sourced from MSCI ESG Research LLC, or its affiliates or information providers (the "ESG Parties"). The Information may only be used for your internal or personal use, may not be reproduced or disseminated in any form and may not be used as a basis for or a component of any financial instruments or products or indices.
Although they obtain information from sources they consider reliable, none of the ESG Parties warrants or guarantees the originality, accuracy and/or completeness, of any data herein and expressly disclaim all express or implied warranties, including those of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
None of the MSCI information is intended to constitute investment advice or a recommendation to make (or refrain from making) any kind of investment decision and may not be relied on as such, nor should it be taken as an indication or guarantee of any future performance, analysis. forecast or prediction. None of the ESG Parties shall have any liability for any errors or omissions in connection with any data herein, or any liability for any direct, indirect, special. punitive, consequential or any other damages (including lost profits) even if notified of the possibility of such damages.